Friday, February 7, 2014

Turn a Shadowbox into a Charging Station- I found this over at www.lookiewhatidid.blogspot.com and I thought it was a very good idea.

Several months ago, I had an "AHA" moment when I came across a shadowbox in Michael's on clearance for $9.00 (original price was $60).  I snatched it up quickly but at the time I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it until I got home and discovered it would be a perfect charging station if I just flipped it upside down...Let me show you what I did....



I started with a shadowbox just like this from Michaels, except mine was a burgundy color that I painted grey.....



Below are the steps I took to transform a simple shadowbox into a charging station....

{The pictures below were taken after everything was finished.  I lost my camera card with all of the before pictures...sorry}

Step 1 - Take the back off of the shadowbox and flip it over (glass is facing down)


Step 2 - Drill a "pretty" hole in the back for the power strip cord to fit...


Step 3 - Install a power strip through the "pretty" hole you have drilled.....


Step 4 - I used 3M Command Velcro picture hanger strips to the back of the power strip.  Now the power strip can be securely placed on the back of the shadowbox.....




Step 5 - Plug in all of your electronics...


Step 6 -  I replaced the back of the shadowbox with a flat wood platform to hold the cell phones, etc that my Dad built.  He cut 5 notches so the cords could fit in but now slip down and he even built a stand to place the iPad on.....

BEFORE
Here is the ONLY picture I have of it before it was painted....


AFTER
Here is the picture after it was painted and simple labels added.  I got the labels in the scrap booking department at Michaels.


Closer picture of labels.....




Picture of the back of the shadowbox (not the prettiest)..


More pictures......







I even had room to add a decorative little bowl to hold my car keys and loose change.....




I am so happy that I had an "AHA" moment and could not be more thrilled with this project.  The charging station sits on a small kitchen counter and doesn't take up any working space in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment